Thursday, October 7, 2010
Question: So how did Jax dislocate her shoulder?
1. Hitting the Sport Court while making an epic dig in practice
2. Diving into a shallow hotel pool in Dallas
3. Getting off the trainers table
She's got an MRI today. Don't look for her on the right side this weekend against Marshall.
Correct Answer: #3.
Monday, September 27, 2010
We were able to watch both ECU matches on CSTV and it wasn't a bad connection. Stephanie Figueroa was outstanding, and the dummies at CUSA HQ in Irving are finally noticing. Stephanie was selected CUSA Defensive Player of the Week. What an honor it must be for Stephanie to be allowed a spot in the Friends of Tulsa-Tyler Henderson admiration society.
Jax had a great weekend as well. She logged 13 kills and zero errors during the Saturday's match. ECU made an adjustment on Sunday moving ECU 6'3" Brittany Roper to front her. On Saturday, ECU had no answer for Jax. On Sunday, they had no answer for Jeane Horton. Even on the constantly lagging CSTV video stream, Jeane still looked incredibly quick and powerful.
Great opening weekend. Tough weekend awaits with conference tournament champs Rice on Friday night. Ashleigh McCord crushes the ball, but she's a low-ball, seam-splitter. Close up the block and you can shut down McCord. Tracey Lam used to be the best Libero in the conference...used to be now that Stephanie Figueroa anchors the Miners big D. Imagine how great Stephanie's dig numbers would be if the Miners didn't block so well.
Friday, September 17, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
- Blocks per set-21st
- Hitting Percentage-29th
- Blocks per set: Kyla Muela-29th
- Points per set: Melissa Toth-46th
- Kills per set: Melissa Toth-58th
- Hitting percentage: Jacquie Cason-118th
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
The UTSA/Miners tilt on Friday night was a classic five-setter. Two very evenly matched squads. UT Pan American was a gutsy team that dug everything on Saturday. Stephanie Figueroa was outstanding all weekend. Taylor Nix also stepped in on the left side and delivered on Saturday. The Miners left the A-game on the court Friday night. I was surprised that Davidson handled UTPA so easily.
Three Miners were selected to the all-tournament team:
- Patty Jarmoc, S, UTEP — Most Valuable Player
- Jacqueline Cason, OH, UTEP
- Stephanie Figueroa, DS, UTEP
- Meghan Fichtel, OH, Texas-Pan American
- Elise Huskey, OH, UTSA
- Sarabeth Peele, OH, Davidson
- Kelsey Schwirtlich, S, UTSA
Jax is number five in CUSA in hitting percentage this week at .344. She also has the second-most kills in the top five.
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
A lot of energy in Memorial Gym last night. The septuagenarian Aggie fans were in the house and they were vocal, but Miner fans far outnumbered them. The Miners showed grit and battled back bravely in games two and three, but too many unforced errors still kill too many comebacks.
Jax has jumped to #2 on the CUSA hitting percentage charts. She's the only freshman in the top 15.
Monday, September 6, 2010
Good News: UTEP remains tops in the conference in blocks and htting percentage
Bad News: The Miners are near the bottom in digs and just got run by their arch-rivals
East Carolina and Tulane look to be the weakest sisters of the conference at the two-week point. UCF has wailed on some weak sisters, so don't let that record fool you. The top 10 in CUSA hitting percentage includes three Miners:
- #2 Kyla Muela
- #3 Jax
- #7 Bridget Logan
The Miners need to put Friday night on the shelf and come out fresh and fierce. Control the first pass, move the ball around to keep the Aggies off balance and take full swings on the attack.
Saturday, September 4, 2010
Got up this morning to watch the Fox Sports AZ broadcast. Kinda glad I knew how miserable the Miners did before we started watching. That way, we just got to enjoy watching our kid play ball. And the Aggie homer broadcasters got her name right.
Will this be the team that breaks the Aggie choke hold on the I-10 rivalry? See you all in El Paso on Tuesday night. I'll be the guy in an orange shirt.
Friday, September 3, 2010
So, Whitney is still sore about a loss in the spring, at some undetermined time in the past...
Right-side hitter Whitney Woods on playing the Miners
"We play them like it's a conference game. It's bigger than conference to be honest. We lost to them in the spring a couple years ago and I feel like we need to get revenge from that....I haven't forgotten about it."
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Sophomore Stephanie Ziegler is a great athlete who will probably play in the back row this year. If Stephanie were 6' or taller, she'd be a #1 OH on another top-25 team. Look for her to absolutely rip a pipe if she gets the opportunity. Her jump serve is also very nasty.
Program Note: Tune in to the Miners/Aggies tilt on Fox Sports AZ HD (Direct TV Channel 686) Saturday, 12:30 am. I believe this will be a re-broadcast of the Aggie Vision telecast of Friday night. It will probably look and sound like public access TV, but I guess we should just celebrate the fact that that TV has finally come to Las Cruces. Aggie Vision. Excellent...Schwing!
Monday, August 30, 2010
For you Texans and Las Crucians who've never heard of Kringle, it's a decadent Danish pastry you can get online or in HyVee stories in the upper midwest.
- OH-Melissa Toth, Bridget Logan (Taylor Nix registered a very crisp kill in one set of play)
- MB-Kyla Muela, Jeane Horton (Cassandra Burrel in for one set)
- S-Patty Jarmoc (Malia Patterson set for a couple of points on day one)
- DS-Victoria Valencia, Jenny Nolasco and Ashley Mullens
- L-Stephanie Figueroa
Melissa and Patty were selected to the all-tournament team, and my MVP was Victoria Valencia. The true freshman started in every set and was the first server in every set. What a joy to watch Victoria play the whole weekend with a big smile on her face. Great catch for Ken and Angela keeping Victoria in El Paso.
Jacquie finished the weekend third on the team in kills and second in hitting percentage. After the first week of play, UTEP is number one in CUSA in the hitting percentage category and Kyla (.449) and Jax (.397) are in the top four.
Note to UTEP Sports Info: Her first name is spelled "Jacquie" not "Jackie."
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Stopped for lunch in Huntington. Got a Frostop Root Beer. The place reminded me of the A&W stand my dad used to take us to after knothole baseball games.
Miner vball season kicks off first thing in the am. Jacquie texted us this afternoon to say national champion, Penn State, and CeCe Twitty's Villanova Wildcats are in the same hotel. Both are in town for a tourney at UNC. Good luck CeCe. You are going to need it against Blair Brown and co.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Nice article about senior setter Patti Jarmoc on the Prospector today. The caption for the image in the article reads: "Senior setter Patty Jarmoc enters her third year as a starter." Too bad they used a picture of Cassandra Burruel. Bet they would have known the difference between the Miner's punter and place kicker. That's OK, I'm sure the El Paso Times and the UTEP Athletics web sites will be rolling out their Miners volleyball previews any day now. Yup, any day now...
Sunday, August 22, 2010
I don't see a preseason poll for Conference USA. Did they eliminate it ?
Here are my predictions:
1) Tulsa -best talent and high level coaching
2) Rice-returns several top players, could be #1
3) Marshall-Plenty of key returners and great coaching
4) Tulane-Lost key starters to transfer, will likely get more.
5) SMU- Returns most of their top players
6) Houston- New coach, but gets players
back from injuries
7) Southern Miss- Conference champ last year, new coach, could
be higher or lower.
8) Memphis-Returns injured players, and upperclassmen
9) ECU- should make the move out of the bottom this year
10) UAB- several new players
11) UCF- lost best players to graduation, still bottom dweller.
12) UTEP- Could be really bad this year*
*UTEP goes into this season with a senior setter, an Andi Collins finalist setter backing her up, a NJCAA First Team All American backing up a solid senior on defense and two 6' 2" Prepvolleyball.com Seniors Aces in the front row. Don't sweat it Miner fans. This team will be markedly better this year.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Here is my take as a rookie dad in D1 Vball:
1. Rice-Returning studs at setter, OH and Libero.
2. Tulsa-OH Tyler Henderson is a girlie toy cannon (Jimmy Wynn old school baseball reference)
3. Southern Miss-2009 regular season champs say they are on a mission after getting whacked in the CUSA tourney...with a rookie coach who has had the job for around three months
4. UCF-Injuries kept this squad from doing more damage last season. Dr. Evil, aka Todd Dagenais, is a top-notch coach.
5. UTEP-Veteran leadership, improved defense and much more physical attack and block packages
6. Marshall-Coach Ratigan's kids are scrappy (my observation from watching them play UCF on TV last season)
7. SMU-Guessing-they have a preseason conference all-star shorty OH in Dana Powell and my wife met the mom of their Libero at a tournament, and mom thought they would be pretty good.
8. UAB-Sister Messerschmitt is down a couple of Euro ringers
9. Memphis-The new collegiate home for Serbian ringers
10. Tulane-Two key Serbians are now Florida State Seminoles
11. Houston-Brand new coach and I think their setter from last year bailed.
12. ECU-Two freshmen setters and all but one of their recruits played club ball for the Lollipop Guild
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Fresno State and Nevada announced today that they will join the Mountain West in 2011. BYU might join the WAC in all sports not football. This leaves a smushed WAC, a somewhat depleted Mountain West and a previously depleted Big 12. Then let's say some eastern conferences can be coerced into stealing UCF, Memphis, Marshall and ECU. How about this for a new Texas dominated athletic conference? And they called it the Wild West Conference...or the Hook' em Who(?) Conference.
Sunday, August 15, 2010
The CUSA web site also has a link to 2010 signees. No Jacquie and no Taylor Nix on that list. Crackerjack staff over there at CUSA HQ.
Sunday, August 8, 2010
For you Miner fans, I can tell you without hesitation that Jacquie is all about...
1. Joy: The smile that rarely leaves her face on the court is an expression of the joy she feels when the game is on. Check out the header for this blog and you'll see what I mean.
2. Competing: Boys in gym class didn't want to play against her because she had a tendency to run them over in pursuit of the ball, the puck...whatever. She was the unanimous MVP of a high school tournament last fall in which her team finished 5th.
3. Toughness: She played several tournaments this spring and led her club team to a Junior Olympics bid while fighting off pneumonia, pleurisy and patellar tendonitis so bad she could barely bend her knees.
Monday, August 2, 2010
Madison will join DS/L Ashley Peak of Colorado Springs in the 2011 class.
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Friday, July 16, 2010
Monday, June 28, 2010
The August 27-28 NCCU tournament will involve Charleston Southern, Delaware State, Elon, NCCU and UTEP.
The border battles between New Mexico State and UTEP will be in Las Cruces on September 3 and in El Paso on September 7.
The missing piece of the puzzle is now revealed. The Miners will be in San Antonio September 10-11. Teams scheduled to participate include Davidson, UT-Pan American, UTEP and the host team, the UTSA Roadrunners. Might be making a return trip to the Little Rhein steakhouse.
On September 25th, the Miners begin Conference USA play on the road at East Carolina.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
- NC Central
- Charleston Southern
- East Tennessee State
- Delaware State
- UNC Asheville
Go Miners. Bring home some hardware.
Friday, May 7, 2010
Zoe Calhoun - Hendrix CollegeJacquie Cason - University of Texas El Paso
Haleigh Householder - Eastern Arizona CC
Nicole Kalinowski - University of New England
Desiree Scott - New Mexico State University
Kayla Wang - Pima CC
Thursday, April 22, 2010
- Taylor Nix, OH, Crawford, TX
- Jacquie Cason, OH, Tucson, AZ
- Stephanie Figueroa, L/DS, Dorado, PR and Iowa Western CC
- Malia Patterson, S, Honolulu, HI
- Rachael Scott, S, Leander, TX
- Victoria Valencia, DS, El Paso, TX
2. Congrats to college-bound Zona 18-1 players Haleigh Householder (Eastern Arizona CC) and Desiree Scott (arch-UTEP nemesis, New Mexico State). Expect an announcement in the next couple weeks about Zoe Calhoun's next stop.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
2009 Prepvolleyball.com Senior Ace
2009 AVCA Senior Watch List
Az Central Class 4A All-State First Team
Az Star's All-Southern Arizona First Team
Tucson Citizen First Team All-Star
State 4A-I Playoffs, second round (first time in Cienega history)
Kino Region Champions (undefeated in conference)
Cactus Shadows Falcon Classic Tournament MVP
TUSD Tournament Champions